GPT knows that looking after the environment to meet the needs of current and future generations is essential to ongoing business success. We recognise the need to continually reduce environmental impacts and progress to a point where resources are sustainably used and emissions are at or below levels that can be reabsorbed without harm.
2019 Key Results
In 2019 we:
- Saved $35 million in 2019 utility costs compared to 2005 baseline intensities, surpassing over $270 million in cumulative savings compared to business as usual.
- Delivered ongoing intensity improvements for emissions, energy and water.
- Recycled 31% of materials in a closed loop manner, including per 2,200 tonnes of organics.
- Delivered the first 2 carbon neutral building certifications at 8 Exhibition Street and workplace6 as part of GPT Wholesale Office Fund's target to be carbon neutral by the end of 2020.
- Installed a further 3.04 MW of solar pv across our portfolio.
- Operated one of the highest rated portfolio for NABERS Energy (with Green Power) at GWOF's weighted average rating of 5.8 Stars.
- Delivered the first NABERS Waste rating with a Materials Recovery Score at workplace6 and the first waste contractor service certified with the GECA Waste Collection Services standard at our Sydney assets.
- Maintained a 3.5 Star NABERS Water rating for our office portfolio.
- Included biodiversity criteria in our supplier prequalification and selection processes.
- Partnered with GreenFleet to offset emissions through restoring ecosystems, sequestering carbon and improving waterways.
Our Management Approach and Progress
Environmental sustainability is integrated into the management of our portfolio operations and development projects. Working with site teams and other key stakeholders, performance is reviewed and targets set to improve GPT’s environmental sustainability performance each year.
We track the performance of all sites for our material environmental aspects and use this for management reporting, driving improvements and disclosing our performance.
Detailed environmental performance by impact area is provided in the pages contained in the environment section of our website and published in external reports, including the:
- GPT Environment Data Pack provides detailed data, charts and information on the performance of our portfolio, funds and buildings, including summary progress by year since our 2005 baseline and current building ratings and certifications with industry bodies like NABERS, Green Star and Climate Active;
- GPT Sustainability Report details our broader ESG approach and progress;
- GPT Climate Disclosure Statement is aligned to the recommendations of the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures;
- GPT Climate Active Public Disclosure Summary details GPT's carbon neutral corporate operations in the most recent year; and,
- GPT Annual Financial Report and related reports detail our portfolio and asset performance.
Our Material Impacts and Approach
The following areas are GPT's most material environmental impacts and have policies that outline our approach, long-term objectives and strategies. Our primary focus is to reduce the impact in areas within our control and be an overall positive contributor to the environment. Beyond the environmental impacts within GPT’s direct control, we support and encourage GPT’s stakeholders to take action where we have influence.
|Policy area||Summary of our objective and approach|
|Climate Change and Energy||The GPT Group will be carbon neutral and resilient to the impacts of climate change by driving efficiency, developing on-site solar energy, procuring off-site renewable contractos for electricity and electrification.|
|Materials and Waste Management||The GPT Group will procure, use and recover materials in a closed loop, circular manner by managing consumption of materials through procurement and recovery activities.|
|Water||The GPT Group will be water neutral and resilient to water scarcity and extreme rain events by delivering driving efficiency improvements, matching end uses to appropriate water sources, evaluating water discharge rate and quality and investing residual water usage.|
|Biodiversity||The GPT Group will have a net positive impact on biodiversity by assessing and measuring our impacts, improving the value of sites and material selection and investing in reforestation programs.|